The much anticipated 28th edition of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) Awards have held with Senegal forward, Sadio Mane emerging as the 2019 Male African Player of the Year and Nigerian star, Asisat Oshoala, claimed the prize for the women category.
The event held Tuesday evening at Albatros Citadel Sahl Hasheesh Resort in Hurghada, Egypt.
Mane defeated his club teammate, Mohamed Salah, and Manchester City star, Riyad Mahrez, to win his maiden individual award on the continent.
Bittertruth Media reports that Mane with his 22 goals in the Premier League shared the Golden Boot with Salah and Gabon’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
Similarly, Oshoala who plays for Barcelona was voted as the continent’s best. This follows her previous wins in 2014, 2016 and 2017 and she has now equaled the record of her mentor and compatriot, Perpetua Nkwocha, who was decorated four times – 2004, 2005, 2010, 2011.
Other winners of the 2019 CAF Awards include:
- African Interclubs Player of the Year: Youcef Belaïli (Algeria & Esperance / Ahli Jeddah)
- African Youth Player of the Year: Achraf Hakimi (Morocco & Borussia Dortmund)
- African Men’s Coach of the Year: Djamel Belmadi (Algeria – Algeria)
- African Women’s Coach of the Year: Desiree Ellis (South Africa)
- African Men’s National Team of the Year: Algeria
- African Women’s National Team of the Year: Cameroon
- Federation of the Year: Egyptian Football Association
Winners of the special awards included:
1. Kojovi Obilale (former Togolese goalkeeper)
- CAF Fifpro Best XI
- Goalkeeper: Andre Onana
- Defenders: Achraf Hakimi, Serge Aurier, Joel Matip, Kalidou Koulibaly
- Midfielders: Idrissa Gueye, Riyad Mahrez, Hakim Ziyech
- Forwards: Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang