The Rivers State University Port Harcourt was established in October, 1980 from the Rivers State College of Science and Technology which was itself established in 1972. It is located at Nkpolu-Oroworukwo in Port Harcourt, the capital of Rivers State, Nigeria.
Applications are invited for the position below:
Job Title: Vice – Chancellor
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
- The Vice-Chancellor shall, in relation to the University, take precedence before every member of the University except the Chancellor and, subject to Section 5, of the University Law, except the Pro-Chancellor and any other person for the time being acting as Chairman of the Council
- He/She is the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University as well as Chairman of the Senate.
Qualifications and Requirements
- The candidate for the post of the Vice-Chancellor is required to possess a good University education and should be a proven, experienced and successful manager of human and material resources.
Specifically, the candidate shall be expected to:
- Be a person of impeccable character, who is honest and against whom no serious allegation of fraud or dishonesty has been made; who is impartial, objective, firm, resourceful, dynamic, innovative and free from ethnic and group interests, and should possess a robust health and demonstrate good public relations;
- Be a Professor of at least 7 years post-professorial experience in a reputable University inside or outside Nigeria;
- Possess considerable managerial experience in University administration and should be a Nigerian.
- Be not more than 63 years at the time of appointment.
- Be able to sustain good harmonious working relationship between the administration, staff and students on one hand and between the University and the host communities on the other hand.
- Be a person with good grasp of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills.
- Enjoy excellent physical and mental health and be prepared to work under considerable pressure.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills, including interpersonal relations and team spirit.
Conditions of Service
Remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in Nigerian Universities, and as may be determined from time to time by the Governing Council.
Application Closing Date
21st January, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications, twenty (20) copies, accompanied by twenty (20) copies of the candidates detailed Curriculum Vitae duly signed and dated. The curriculum vitae must include:
- The candidates name in full,
- Place and date of birth,
- Marital status,
- Number and ages of children,
- Academic qualifications,
- Teaching, Research, Administrative and Managerial experiences,
- Academic distinction, membership of academic and professional bodies, scholarly publications,
- Names and addresses of three (3) referees and other relevant information.
Applications are to be submitted under confidential cover in envelopes marked at the upper left hand corner “Post of Vice Chancellor, RSU”, to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Rivers State University,
P. M.B. 5080, Port Harcourt,
- Candidate should submit a statement of his/her vision for the University for the next five years (20 copies).
- All candidates must have three (3) referees who are to forward references on them directly to the Registrar and Secretary to Council. Such referees should be able to attest to the candidate’s claim to higher academic and managerial capabilities as well as their moral uprightness.
- In addition, candidates are requested to submit a Report of Medical fitness from a Government Hospital and Birth Certificate or Age Declaration.
- All short-listed candidates will be required to make themselves available for interaction on a later date with the Joint Council/Senate Selection Committee.