In a bid to curtail the global spread of the Coronavirus epidemic, the United States on Friday offered up to $100 million to China and other impacted countries.
This was revealed by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a statement.
“This commitment — along with the hundreds of millions generously donated by the American private sector — demonstrates strong US leadership in response to the outbreak,” Pompeo said.
“We encourage the rest of the world to match our commitment. Working together, we can have a profound impact to contain this growing threat,” he added.
He also said the spending would come out of unspecified funds that have already been allocated within the US government.
According to Pompeo, the United States has donated close to 17.8 tons of medical supplies to China including masks, gowns, gauze and respirators.
Bittertruth Media recalls that President Donald Trump had on Friday praised China’s response as “very professional” after he spoke by telephone with his counterpart Xi Jinping.
It may interest you to note that at least 31,000 people in two dozen countries have been infected, with more than 630 killed, since the virus emerged late last year in the Chinese city of Wuhan, likely from a market that sold exotic animals for consumption.