Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike on Sunday evening addressed Rivers People and residents in a state broadcast.
This is in continuation of his government’s efforts to curb the spread of the Coronavirus pandemic ravaging the world including Nigeria.
Bittertruth Media highlights 10 key points of the broadcast below:
1. Gov.Wike berated the Federal Government for politicizing fight against Coronavirus especially through its bias selection of states to benefit from its grant with Lagos State receiving N10bn.
2. Gov. Wike announced that all markets in the state shall operate between 7am and 12noon on April 7 and April 8, 2020 to allow residents shop for Easter and also replenish their stock of foodstuffs.
3. Gov.Wike declared that Oil Mill Market, Mbiama Market and Slaughter Market will remain closed till further notice.
4. Gov.Wike announced the dissolution of the Board of RTC for the notorious operation of illegal franchise scheme.
5. Gov. Wike directed security agencies to fish out and prosecute persons who slaughter animals in the Bush for public consumption.
6. Gov.Wike lambasted commercial vehicle operators for refusing to maintain social distancing.
7. Gov.Wike announced the setting up of a committee to work out modalities for implementation of the State Government’s Palliative Programme with the following membership: Ambassador Desmond Akawor (Chairman), Mrs Inime Aguma , Dr Bariere Thomas, Chief David Briggs, Mrs Florence Amiesimaka, Mrs Stella Ichenwo, Mrs Anthonia Kpakol, Hon. Edison Ehie, Mr Samuel Nwanosike, Hon Hope Ikiriko, Mr Latteh Loolo, ACP Innocent Umerie (Representative of Nigeria Police Force), Hassan Yahaya (DSS), Lt Col Bello (Nigerian Army), AC Mathew Pama (Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps), Wing Commander Comfort Visah (Nigerian Air Force) , Lt Commander CJ Udeh (Nigerian Navy) Venerable Richard Opara, Alhaji Abdulrazaq Diepriye, Monsignor Pius Kii, Archbishop Felix Ezebunwo, Mrs Vivian Braide , Prince Ohia and Paulinus Nsirim (Secretary).
The committee will be inaugurated tomorrow, Monday April 6, 2020 at the Government House, Port Harcourt by 12noon.
8. Gov.Wike said the state’s index case of the virus is now negative and would be discharged soon.
9. Gov.Wike urged religious leaders to continue to intercede on behalf of the state in the fight to contain the virus.
10. Gov.Wike emphasised that all borders of the State remains closed.