A survival of the recent deadly Boko Haram attack on Faduma Kolomdi village in Gubio local government area of Borno state on Tuesday has narrated how the insurgents deceived villagers with Islamic Preaching before they struck and killed over 80 persons.
The survivor, who spoke when Babagana Zulum, governor of the state, visited the village on Wednesday, said 81 residents were killed, 13 persons injured and seven others, including village head, were abducted.
“The insurgents in gun trucks and armored tanks, came around 10am. They operated for about six hours and left around 4pm,” he said.
“They gathered us and said they wanted to deliver religious sermon to us. They asked us to submit whatever arm we had. Some villagers gave up their dane guns, bow and arrows.
“The insurgents pretended as if they were there for any violence. Suddenly, they started shooting at will. Even children and women were not spared, many were shot at close range. Many started running. At the end end, many persons were killed.
“We have been burying people since from 10:00pm last night to about 6am this morning. We have buried 49 corpses here while another 32 corpses were taken away by families from the villages around us. The insurgents abducted seven persons including our village head. They went away with 400 cattle.”
Gov.Zulum who described the attack as barbaric and unfortunate also called on the military to intensify efforts on the fight against the insurgents.
“Last year, about same number of people were killed in Gajiram like it happened again. This is barbaric. It is very unfortunate. The only solution to end this massacre is by dislodging the insurgents in the shores of Lake Chad. Doing so will require collaborative regional efforts,” he said.
Bittertruth Media reports that five persons who sustained injuries were also evacuated by the governor and taken to the hospital for treatment.